Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Carving the Pumpkins...A Family Tradition...hehe!

I love traditions and I think they are important for families...Nathan and I both grew up in families that had many family and holiday traditions...I love that with my own family we can continue on with and create new family traditions.  However I am learning that with the hustle and bustle of everyday life it is sometimes difficult to pull off my "perfect" vision of how I see our family traditions playing out!  In my perfect little bubble of a world I pictured Halloween day going a little different then it did....I picture something like this...Making ghost and witch shaped pancakes for breakfast, having plenty of time to carve our pumpkins, making spooky cookies, roasting pumpkin seeds and decorating the front of our house all scary. Then I pictured Nathan and I taking Ethan out on a beautiful fall evening to go trick or treating around our neighbourhood then driving around to our family members houses to show off our cute little man in his Halloween costume! Sounds perfect eh!

Unfortunately I just couldn't fit it all in this year! The craziness started on Halloween Eve when I ended up realizing that we had to carve our pumpkins that night because I worked Halloween day and would not be home until 5:30pm....So on the night before Halloween after a yummy family dinner we quickly carved pumpkins at my moms because I had a youth fireside I had to attend at 7pm that night...My mom, Shayna, Ethan and I got around to this activity at about 6pm...Nathan was not around because he had to work...Anyways we carved  those orange suckers super quick because "Ethan needed the experience...right??"...I couldn't have un-carved pumpkins on Halloween Day...."Could I??"  Anyhow my vision of Ethan loving this activity was slightly off as well...He didn't really care too much...He came and looked at the pumpkin guts but that was about it...He wasn't even interested in touching the gushy mess! Even though I coaxed him into it for a few minutes for a "perfect picture moment"...haha.

Before you look at the pictures I would like to point out the obvious...The pumpkin faces were brutal this year...Remember we only had about 10 mins to carve these vegetables so please don't judge...However the one my mom carved is hilarious...I told her I would tell people Ethan did it as it is not far off what he could probably produce if I would allow him to hold a knife...Oh well it was actually really fun and we couldn't stop laughing at the fact that I felt we had to carve the pumpkins and give "Ethan this family tradition".  Also when Shayna and I saw what my mom's pumpkin looked liked we almost peed ourselves.









He loved holding the spoon of course!

Mine on the left...I know brutal...But not as brutal as my mom's!  Haha


I would like to report that at 6:25pm I got dress and did my hair while my mom and Shayna bathed and dressed Ethan. I made it to the church by 6:55pm with 2 carved pumpkins in my trunk!
A little stressful but we got it done...It is so nice to have help!

Stay tuned for Halloween Day picutres!

1 comment:

  1. LOL, this is hilarious! I can totally picture it. And I feel the same way about Holidays and traditions, I want it to be perfect, but it never is. This was a good reminder for me with Christmas coming up that it doesn't all have to be perfect! I'm glad you wrote this though, I definitely needed the laugh today!! :)

    ReplyDelete