Monday, January 24, 2011

Memories of the Farm - My Garden

Memories of our farm continued...

MY GARDEN...We got possession of the farm on June 1st...however we didn't do the big move (meaning with the moving truck) until the next week....so since I wanted so badly to get a garden in my mom and I started it right away...we worked for hours...even in the rain...but it was well worth it because my garden flourished and yielded lots of vegetables.


"One who plants a garden, plants happiness."


We were told that this spot was used as a garden in the past but was covered by the previous owners by gravel as they used the space for parking.  Therefore to convert it back to a garden my mom and I had to remove all the little stones, aerate the soil and add more soil to it...I think I ordered 4 yards of soil.  I know it doesn't look like much yet but just getting to this stage was hard work. 

This was the fun part...planting the seeds.
We planted yellow & green beans, carrots, cucumbers, parsnips, beets, corn, tomatoes, green pepper, hot peppers &onions

One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides

Tomato Plant
This is day 2 of planting my bean seeds...beans grow so fast
Weather means more when you have a garden.  There's nothing like listening to a rain shower and thinking how it is soaking in around your green beans.

All my carrots were fat and weird looking but tasted normal

My first time growing corn...it was really good...I also used my corn stalks for fall decorations

My sunflowers were my favorite...they were soooo beautiful and made me happy!

"A garden is a friend you can visit any time."

I wish I got a picture earlier...it was so sad to see them start to wilt.

Friends are the Flowers in Lifes Garden





1 comment:

  1. I love these posts about the farm, that place was amazing! I'm so glad we got to come see it before you moved. That was such a fun day, perfect for the kids. I love all your farm clothes too, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete