Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"Wasting Time"

This morning I was tired…
Ethan woke up a couple times last night and
I was still tired from staying up way past my
bedtime this past weekend.
So when Ethan was ready to start the day…
I was defiantly not.
I figured I could sneak a couple more minutes of peace
by bringing my baby to bed to feed him…
It was a nice little snooze time but way too short…
Now that Ethan is older when he is ready for the morning
there is no stopping him…
He is a mover and a shaker so between his loud cute voice
and busy little body, I lose to him every time.

Secretly as I arose from bed I was already anxiously awaiting
Ethan's nap time so I could continue my little slumber.
We retreated downstairs after changing a poop filled diaper 
to eat and play and let daddy sleep (he works nights).

 Just my luck between being exhausted and feeling a
cold coming on, Ethan was "Mr Needy" all morning…
He refused to eat more then a couple bites of his breakfast,
and when I was holding him he wanted down
and when I put him down he complained that he wanted up. 
 On top of that it rained last night and the ground was muddy
so letting the dogs out for a pee turned into a big chore... 
Yup wiping there paws clean upon entry back into the house.

Did I mention I am tired today…

Later I tried to hang a blind up in my kitchen
while Ethan crawled around on the floor.
Truthfully I find tasks like this very tedious and frustrating
at the best of times, but the anticipation of a new window
treatment made me persevere.
Oh did I mention I was really tired...
 and it didn’t help that I had a 9 month old
competing for my attention…
Why does it seem like when I just need a few minutes
to get something done, Ethan becomes painfully needy
and I feel painfully guilty.
So after what seemed like forever I got the brackets 
screwed into the wall  and I was ready to attach the
bamboo blind…This is when it became quite obvious
that my measurements were a little off…
Yup holes to patch up and all that work for nothing.

Luckily by this time it was close to nap time so 
Ethan and I quickly retreated to the bedroom before I lost it.
I brought Ethan into my bed to feed him asleep
and I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I woke to a sleeping baby and husband,
I just laid there thinking for a bit about everything
I need to do today…
Soon Ethan then Nathan woke up. 
We ended up staying in bed for some time...it was nice...
The  time consisted of talking, feeding Ethan again,
playing & watching Ethan,
laughing, and of course kissing Ethan a bunch…
We basically did nothing for a bit.
Truthfully I was hiding from all of the things I needed to get done.

At one point I felt guilty and said to Nate…
”You know it is getting late…we should probably get up eh?” 
I found myself thinking of all the “productive” things we could be
doing like attempting to hang that dang kitchen blind again,
cleaning and organizing our messy computer room,
getting a start on redoing our bathroom...
(we have only been talking about doing this since last summer),
dusting, cleaning out the fridge, vacuuming,
taking our stir crazy dogs for a walk,
crushing the hot peppers I dehydrated, scrubbing the bathtubs…
I could go on and on and on...

This is when Nathan said to me “isn’t this so nice…
you know it is OK to just do nothing once and a while…
Just enjoy it Hun.” 

This comment got me thinking…

Why is it that I often assume that “doing nothing” is a bad thing…
Could it be that...
The time I enjoy wasting is in fact
not wasted time at all. 
It’s not often that most of us just sit quietly,
and allow the world to pass us by.
Really when I think about it what is so important
that it can’t wait until later?
What email must be answered right this moment?
Do we really need to hang a blind today or make that phone call,
or get my run in, or clean the kitchen,
or put everything in it’s perfect spot.
Do we really need to have the television on
 or frequent the Internet daily?

Could it be that while we are so busy making our 
"perfect life"  that we are allowing it to pass us by. 
How can we enjoy the beauty in things
if we are constantly keeping our minds super-busy?
Are we missing out on the beautiful world around us 
if we are constantly thinking about the future...
what we need to do,
our anxieties about what might happen...
and the past...what we did wrong,
what someone else did to us, what we wish we said,
what should have happened?

My new goal is to take pleasure in the present
and savor every minute!
When was the last time you just sat, and enjoyed
doing “nothing”…why not try it today!


1 comment:

  1. Wow Aleccia. You are profound. Have you thought of writing as a profession. No kidding, this was a well written piece.
    I could understand the neediness of a child. Levi was sick last week and no one but me could console. I did feel special that he wanted mommy but mommy needed a break at the end of the week. Motherhood is great.

    ReplyDelete