Friday, April 1, 2011

Happy April Fools

April 1st is like Christmas for jokesters. Some carefully plan elaborate schemes, while others go for the more spontaneous prank. The later is my approach...read on to see what my big joke of the year was!

So last night Shayna came by to say hi just before midnight...I was up blogging.  Anyhow her quick visit turned into a sleepover because of a few reason. First we got to talking (need I say more), second we heard a ghost (I am not kidding...really strange sounds...this led to us each grabbing umbrellas and searching the basement and closets)...I called Nate to report the ghost and he laughed at me a little. 

Then I spontaneously decided (while Shayna was still upstairs looking for ghosts) to play a little joke on her.  So I covered the door with Saran Wrap.  After Shayna came downstairs (still freaked out) she decided to sleepover because she was too scared to go home (um yes Shayna is a Police Officer (haha)) and truthfully I didn't want her to leave either.  So I tricked her by saying that the light in the hallway had just burnt out as she put on her boots to go outside and move her car off the road and into our driveway (this way she couldn't see the Saran Wrap...And yes she walked right into the wrap and didn't know what hit her...it was priceless...she was still on edge about the "ghost sounds" we heard so it added to the drama of the prank.

After "getting Shayna" it was almost time for Nathan to arrive home from work so since my little joke worked on Shayna we got the clever idea to play the same April Fools joke Nathan...ya it didn't go over as well.  Apparently the moon light was enough to light up the Saran Wrap so Nate saw it instantly! (lol)...but we still had some fun!


Ethan even woke up for the joke!

Without the lights on outside you can hardly see the wrap (well kinda)
 
I am waiting in the dark here peeking out the window to see if Nate is here yet.
(the camera flash actually makes it look like the light is on...it was not, we were in the dark)



Did you ever wonder how April Fools Day started?
Well here you go...at least this is what I got on a google search.


The History of April Fools Day

The history of April Fool's Day or All Fool's Day is uncertain, but the current thinking is that it began around 1582 in France with the reform of the calendar under Charles IX. The Gregorian Calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved from March 25 - April 1 (new year's week) to January 1.

Communication traveled slowly in those days and some people were only informed of the change several years later. Still others, who were more rebellious refused to acknowledge the change and continued to celebrate on the last day of the former celebration, April 1.

These people were labeled "fools" by the general populace, were subject to ridicule and sent on "fool errands," sent invitations to nonexistent parties and had other practical jokes played upon them. The butts of these pranks became known as a "poisson d'avril" or "April fish" because a young naive fish is easily caught. In addition, one common practice was to hook a paper fish on the back of someone as a joke.

This harassment evolved over time and a custom of prank-playing continue on the first day of April. This tradition eventually spread elsewhere like to Britain and Scotland in the 18th century and was introduced to the American colonies by the English and the French. Because of this spread to other countries, April Fool's Day has taken on an international flavor with each country celebrating the holiday in its own way.


A couple comic relief pictures in light of the day!
 

HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S

1 comment:

  1. Hey Aleccia, I've just been catching up on your blog tonight and there are so many new posts, I love it! I can't believe you're scrapbooking again, that's awesome! I miss it and I really want to finish baby books for the kids too. Haha, I still have my Howie scrapbook page, my kids will think I'm the biggest nerd when they see that. And I love your April Fools joke, that sounds like something we would have done back in the day. I'm glad you had such a fun birthday, I promise I didn't forget! Every time I get a chance to call you it would be too late for you, but I will call you soon to wish you Happy Birthday in person. Anyways, this such a long comment, miss you and I'll talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete